Forums » Home & Garden

Wasp infestation

• 128 posts
    August 1, 2012 11:05:32 AM PDT

In the last few weeks I have hundreds of wasps in my backyard.  The seem to really like the lawn, but also like to visit my maple trees and redwood trees.  I cannot find their nests and I have set out a couple of those yellow traps that I got at Home Depot.  The traps are worthless and have only caught a cople wasps. I also tried making some home made traps from instructions I found on the internet using different sticky, sweet baits.  Nothing seems to trap them.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and if so, have you found any kind of trap that works?  By the way, the pests are wasps, not yellow jackets.

• 2 posts
    August 1, 2012 4:16:40 PM PDT
    We have the same problem. Dryer sheets!
    They may be very unsightly, but they work! At one point in time, we had them hanging from the trees and laying on the patio with rocks holding them down, so the wind wouldn't bother them. We currently have them stuffed under the top of our fence and surprisingly, they work very well.
    • 128 posts
    August 2, 2012 12:03:50 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip.  However, I placed some dryer sheets in my yard this morning and they don't seem to have an effect.  I put some on the lawn where they usually hang out and it doesn't seem to phase them.  I am using "Bounce" brand dryer sheets.  What did you use?  I wonder if that makes a difference.

• 2 posts
    August 2, 2012 12:42:28 PM PDT
    I have no idea if the brand matters. We are using "snuggle". We found one of their nests in the ground awhile back, and we sprayed wasp spray in there in the evening. We still have some, but it made a very big difference for us.
    You can call my grandmother and talk to her about it. She has a few other ideas to what might be wrong. You can reach her at
    (916) 635-9420 'Kris Frost'
    • 267 posts
    August 5, 2012 9:27:22 PM PDT
    We just had some gutter cleaning and roof repair done and they found 2 on the roof! It seems a particularly bad year for both wasps and yellow jackets. I'll try the Snuggle tip. Kind of ironic..."Snuggle" keeping wasps away!
    • 3 posts
    August 8, 2012 8:41:54 PM PDT
    They are paper wasps (European paper wasps?). We are having the same problem in Gold Station. Traps don't work on them. They are considered beneficial insects because they eat flies & other bugs, but you probably don't want them nesting in/on your house. They are nesting under our roof tiles. I did a Google search of how to fight them. Found an article by UCD that suggested checking with your local mosquito vector control to see if they offer nest removal. I called the Sacramento/Yolo office. They said they are getting tons of calls. They do not have a nest removal service. They suggested spraying them with wasp spray (sprays a stream up to 20 feet) but follow precautions so you don't get stung or covered with spray fallout. There are lots of articles on the internet about them: http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-kill-wasps/
    May 7, 2013 8:16:11 AM PDT
    Paper wasps,
    Sorry I'm new here so I'm just seeing this but i have a feeling you will be having the same issue this year:) Insects need the basic necessities just like us; food, water, and shelter. The difference being is that they don't need much to thrive.
    Food-A Lot of the traps at the store are meant for yellow jackets (which are completely different). Paper wasps eat live insects, this makes them hard to lure into a trap and that is also why you see them hovering around the grass and trees.
    Water- Well, this can be found anywhere around GR:) but the smallest of puddles will go along way.
    Shelter-Wasps love tile roofs and eaves and any other small space . They usually construct their nest from the fibers in the wood on your cedar fences.

With this being said it can be difficult at time to try and control wasps. You just need to be thorough with your control methods. What works for one person won't work with everyone. The good thing about wasps is they only live 1 season. So this years issues are the eggs from last year. Sometime you might not see any nest but they are there. Your yard can even be a highway between the areas they are nesting and the yard where they are getting food and water.

I hope this helps with understand a little about paper wasps:)
    You can always call me directly at
    916-205-1353-Joe